Friday, November 22, 2013

Red Belly & Whipbirds.






Red Belly & Whipbirds.

I was reminded today that the season is changing… the weather is rapidly heating up, summer is just around the corner… the bush tracks I love to wander should be ventured with the utmost care & respect.
And not in open shoes.
The bush is, after all, the natural home of native animals.
Below you will find two photos from my morning walk… well, you’ll find a lot more than 2, but let’s just focus on them for now…  this is an Australian Red Bellied Black Snake, which is a species of elapid snake native to eastern Australia. A bite from it is not usually fatal and is less venomous than other Australian snakes. It has an average total length of 1.5 to 2 metres and is fairly common in this area. That being said, you won’t run into one every day of the week, today was just my lucky day.


 
Red Belly Black

*

As I walked along Stumers Road to where the tidal creek washes in, I heard the distinctive call of the whipbird… I love the whipbirds song and they were accommodating enough to put on a performance while I filmed the thicket in which they were playing. I did catch a glimpse, but didn’t get them on the video. Whipbirds are somewhat plain to look at, or so many think, but I think it’s a perfect example of how true beauty goes much deeper then outside appearences. It is a dark olive-green and black in colour with white cheek patches; they have head crest and the male and female are similar.
Whipbird Song

**
 Brush Turkey, males have black feathers and a red head, and grow to  about 60–75 cm (23–30 in) with  a wingspan of about 85 cm (33 in)
Brush Turkeys were a regular meat on our menu when I was growing up out in the bush. The "Outback" is a very big place and in many areas shops are few and far between. They taste fine, like turkey.

*
Rainbow Lorikeet's live in  rainforest, coastal bush and woodland areas; they are a medium sized parrot  ranging from 25–30 cm (9.8-11.8 in) in size, with a wingspan of about 17 cm (6.7 in
*
 
*

**

 

I think this may be a Wattlebird, but I'm not sure.
*

 

You always know the beach is nearby when you see karkalla or pig face
Karkalla leaves are succulent, 3.5–10 cm (1.4–3.9 in) long and 1 cm (0.4 in) wide, and curved or rarely straight. The flowers are light purple in colour, and 6 cm (2.4 in) wide. The globular purplish red fruit is about 2.5 cm (1 in) long and 1.5 cm (0.6 in) wide.
*
 
A grey heron, feeding in Stumers Creek;standing up to 100 cm (39 in) tall and measuring 84–102 cm (33–40 in) long with a 155–195 cm (61–77 in) wingspan. The body weight can range from 1.02–2.08 kg (2.2–4.6 lb). Herons eat fish, frogs, and insects.
*

 

It was only 11 am but the day was heating up. It reached 29c. So I took a wee rest :)
*
**
And there was the beach and the Pacific Ocean, Down Under side.
*
*

I noticed this guy... and wondered what he was up too... turns out he was putting up a marker and an X marks the spot...

 

I realized he was waiting for tandem parachuter's  to come in...


**
*
Peace and Inspiration Everyone, and thank you for wandering my way.
Sharonlee Goodhand 22/11/2013


OceanSong



No comments:

Post a Comment