Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Grateful for What I have - Scavenging Goanna's & Pandanus Possum




Grateful for What I have

It was brought to my attention recently, that I am lucky to have a view worth looking at;
lucky to have woods & beaches & bush tracks to wander in.

It was both humbling & grounding, although I don't think that was their intention, the person
who brought all this to mind.

I am lucky, in so many ways; I do live in what many would consider paradise. My income may
very low, but I don't go hungry, and with some careful saving I can enjoy a few luxuries.

After this brief but thought provoking encounter I felt so humbled that I just had to go out into the day and experience my surroundings with new eyes.


I wandered across the highway to the park, loitering under paperbark and tea-tree; I spotted a goanna about the length of my arm trying to reach something in a culvert near the path. He let me get within a few feet of him (or her), being more preoccupied with whatever was in the culvert.


Turns out it was a hunk of BBQ chicken someone had thrown away. Cooked meat is not the natural food of any animal but I was not going to wrestle it away from those teeth and claws.
Goanna's are natural scavengers; they eat road kill, eggs and small rodents.

 

After taking a few photos of the goanna I headed down through the park towards the sandy track in the far corner. I passed the yoga/contortionist dude in his usual place... in his usual contorted position. Always with his eyes closed.

 

The ocean was at the far end of the track and a narrow strip of coastal scrub made up mostly of she-oak and pandanus. I sat in my favorite spot on top of the dunes, under a small group of pandanus; there was always shade here and a great view of the ocean.

 

I thought about that passing comment, realizing it was a very true statement. I am lucky.
And now I am grateful for that truth, more than I was before.



As I write this I can hear the traffic on the highway out the front… I can hear the muted tumble as the not so distant ocean rolls up the moon lit sand… but I hear something too, a possum in the pandanus tree outside my window. I know it’s a possum because I have seen him scrambling around it, eating the pandanus fruit.
*
Today I was reminded to be grateful for what I have.

 
**
Peace and Hugs
Thoughts & Photos- SharonleeGoodhand
©27-Nov-13

No comments:

Post a Comment